Thursday, June 22, 2006

Gone till Tuesday

So I leave tomorrow morning for Amboseli and Tsavo West, should be an exciting trip--hopefully I can find a fast internet connection when I get back so I can post more pictures (last time it took like an hour to post 3--not something I can do regularly at work, I guess).

The FGM advocacy reception last night was really good, and only slightly awkward when I got grilled by the hardcore activists and fell into their trap with my "typical" American viewpoints. Well excuuuuuuuuuse me. The UN report launch today was much more structured--lots of speeches and minimal mingling (though far fewer delicious treats). Hopefully we'll get to go to more events like that, it seems like Equality Now gets invitations to stuff all the time. I've started volunteering myself for everything. The other day Mary Beth took down a message from someone about visiting a Maasai girls camp (not "Messiah," mom...) and when we delivered the message I quickly volunteered myself to tag along. Then our office manager told me it's in like Tanzania or something--ha--so we'll see when our director gets back, but I doubt it.

Ok, I've got to run to Nakumatt and buy a flashlight for this weekend. I'm keeping a low profile tonight because the U.S. is playing Ghana in the World Cup. The paper this morning said "the entire continent is behind Ghana tonight." So, if they're all behind Ghana tonight, then no one's got my back. Good thing I didn't wear an American flag t-shirt today--though I did have a hotdog for lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home