Thursday, July 20, 2006

Dinner chez Mary

Last week our office manager, Mary, invited Mary Beth and I over to her house for a Kenyan feast. Carole, a program officer, also came and brought her family. Here are a few pictures and the menu:


Mary, her daughter, and Carole's son


Mary Beth, Carole's daughter, and Carole (and my plate of food on the table)

Here's what we had--I still can't believe we ate this much:

1. Ugali
2. Arrow roots
3. Sweet potatoes
4. Boiled green bananas
5. Uji
6. Kale and spinach with beef
7. Beef stew
8. Irid (boiled maize, peas, and mashed potatoes)
9. Black beans with grated carrots
10. Fruit Salad
11. Ice cream

I could barely walk from the taxi to my door after that, then we had leftovers for lunch the next day. I asked Mary to teach me how to make some of this stuff, so hopefully we'll do that next week. The only thing that wasn't so great was the uji--it's like this really thin fermented porridge that you drink out of a mug--I took one taste and then let Mary finish my mug.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home