Saturday, July 29, 2006

Conference is over, internet access resumes

Oh man, what a week. Our office helped to organize an international workshop in Nairobi this week called "Protecting Girls from FGM and Harmful Traditional Practices (HTPs): Challenges and Opportunities for Legal Intervention in Africa." The workshop was technically hosted by the Foundation for Women's Health Research and Development (FORWARD), but since they're based in the UK, our office handled most of the logistical preparation. When I asked about the conference a few weeks ago I was given an answer that greatly underestimated our involvement in the process. Friday night we stayed in the office until 8pm getting stuff ready so we wouldn't have to come in on Saturday--we already knew we had to work on Sunday.

On Sunday we hosted a reception for the participants who had arrived from other countries. There were representatives from the medical, legal, and social service professions who arrived from Burkina Faso, Ghana, Guinea, Tanzania, Congo, Mauritania, Tunisia, and Harvard Law School. Originally my role in the conference was to be a participant and take notes to write an article for our "Awaken" publication. At about 10am on Monday this switched to running around making copies and taking care of everyone's problems. That was fine, it just turned into an exhausting week. I would show up at the office at 7:30am and not leave the Hilton until 8pm.

On Wednesday we took a trip to Narok to visit one of the FGM projects Equality Now funds. Basically it's a place where girls can go to escape FGM--there's a school and dorm facilities. We learned a lot about how the police/child service/legal systems interact in Narok to implement and enforce the Kenyan law against FGM.


In Narok, with most of the group and two Maasai women


Classroom facilities at the project in Narok


So I think the week was a success, the final product will be a technical document providing a legal framework for protecting girls from FGM/HTPs. Thursday night we had a reception to mark the end of the workshop.


GROUP PHOTO!! YEAH! EVERYBODY SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Last night most of us went to Carole's house for a big dinner and nyama choma. I learned how to barbeque a goat leg. Mike, Carole's husband, told me that sometimes people will just spend an entire afternoon and evening nyama choma-ing, and they bring a live goat to their house and slaughter it and just grill the pieces all day. I thought that was a little out of control.


Me posing with Mike, goat legs, and basting sauce


Conversation between me and Mike later that night:

Mike: So, do you think you could do this by yourself now?

Me: Possibly, but I don't think I could bring a goat home with me and slaughter it to start the process.

Mike: Oh, don't worry, you'll get there.....

A few more weeks in Kenya and I might...who knows.


West Africans enjoying nyama choma



Mary's daughter Kabura and I standing too close to the grill


So one week left in Nairobi to finish like 5 projects. I was so tired I slept through "The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo" this morning. Dangit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home